4080 Allergic Risk Survey in Lao Children at out-Patient Department, Children's Hospital, Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR

Saturday, 17 October 2015
Hall D1 Foyer (Floor 3) (Coex Convention Center)

Somxay Billamay, MD , Medical Adminitration, Children's Hospital, Vientiane Capital, Laos

Sodaly Mongkhoune , Allergy Unit, Children's Hospital, Laos

Rationale and Background: Allergic diseases are increasing in Lao children in the recent years. In Lao PDR, no studies have been conducted to study the allergic risk to develop allergic diseases in children.

Methodology: Using 3519 questionnaires of main symptoms of asthma, cow milk allergy, allergic rhinitis, atopic dermatitis and secondary symptoms of urticaria, drug allergy, food allergy, allergic conjunctivitis, data was collected from parents and family members of patients. A scoring system of main and secondary symptoms was designed, with a score of 2, or greater than 2, placing them in the high risk category to develop allergic diseases. The survey was conducted from January 4 to May 30, 2015.

Results: All patients are between 0-15 years of age, 77% are younger than 5, 52% of patients are male. All family members of patients had the main symptoms of allergic rhinitis 7.1%, asthma 1.8%, atopic dermatitis 1.3% and cow milk allergy 0.3%. The highest percentage of secondary symptoms is 3% with urticaria, drug allergy 1%, food allergy 0.8% and allergic conjunctivitis 0.3%. The survey results indicate that 9.5% of patients had a score of 2 or greater, placing them in the high risk category, the remaining 90.5% had a score of less than 2.

Conclusion: The highest main symptom of patients’ family members is allergic rhinitis and the highest of secondary symptoms is urticaria. The allergic risk to develop allergic diseases  of Lao children is 9.5% in this survey. 

Keywords: allergic risk, survey, children, Lao PDR.