This study is for investigating AR(allergic rhinitis) affecting factors in Korea with a sample region. AR is one of the respiratory diseases(ICD10:J00-J99) which have close connection with the health of Korean people(Among 15 diseases of top rank in 2010 on outpatients’ hospital visiting, 4 diseases were related with respiratory diseases in Korea).
Target area was Seongdong which is one of 25 districts in Seoul, Korea. Dependent variable is ARV(AR outpatients’ hospital visiting) with ICD10 codes J301~304. Independent variables are meteorological variables(TM, Tavr, Tm, Prcp(precipitation), humidity(RH), DTR(Diurnal Temp. Range), WV(Wind velocity), Pollen data(Poll, The count sum of grass, ragweed, wormwood, JapHop, alder, birch, hazelnut and oak). Statistical researches including factor analysis, correlation analysis, time series analysis(autocorrelation), independent t-test were performed.
(1) ARV of Seongdong can represent those of Seoul and Korea(R=0.968, p<.000 respectively).
(2) 3 factors(TM, Tavr, RH) were proved not to be the main affecting factors by corr. analysis. Factor analysis with the rest 5 variables can make 3 main groups: 1stgroup (Tm, Prcp); 2ndgroup(DTR, Poll); 3rdgroup(WV) (KMO=.484, Bartlett's χ2 =164.846, p<.000). Time series analysis(autocorrelation) shows these 5 variables and ARV have the highest autocorrelation coefficients at every 12thmonth (p<.000 respectively).
(3) there are 2 AR increase and 2 AR decrease in a year(1stAR increase(Feb~Apr), 1stAR decrease(Apr~Jul), 2ndAR increase(Jul~Nov), 2ndAR decrease(Nov~Feb of the next year).
(4) By independent t-test with 2 tops and 2 bottoms of ARV, periodical affecting factors were revealed as follows; 1stAR increase(p=.308) ,DTR(p=.016), Tm(p=.000), WV(p=.046); 1stAR decrease(p=.043), DTR(p=.001), Tm(p=.000), Prcp(p=.034), WV(p=.021); 2ndAR increase(p=.010), Tm(p=.000), Prcp(p=.028). 2ndAR decrease(p=.070), Tm(p=.035), WV(p=.046).
(5) The ranges of 5 main affecting variables in 1 year(A) and in AR increase (when AR Z-value>0)(B) are as followings: Tm((A)-9.9~25.6°C, (B)-9.9~22.1°C). Prcp((A)0.0~498.8mm, (B)0.0~270.5mm). DTR((A)3.5~13.6°C, (B)3.5~13.6°C). Poll((A)0~1870, (B)0~1870). WV((A)1.4~3.8m/sec, (B)1.4~3.8m/sec). This shows ARV didn’t occur when Tm>22.1°C or Prcp>498.8mm.
Seongdong which can represent Seoul and Korea(R=.968, p<.000) has 2 AR increase and 2 AR decrease in a year. The only affecting factor on ARV all the year round was Tm. Prcp(Apr~Nov) and WV(Nov~Apr) are significantly noticeable. Tmand Prcp have the range in which ARV didn’t occur.
Allergic Rhinitis, seasonal variation
KCDC(2013E2100101), AR DB(NHIC), Meteorological DB(KMA), Pollen DB(Advanced Research on Applied Meteorology of the National institute of Meteorological Research).